Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Since I'm Not Sleeping...

I might as well be blogging, right?

With that said, it's MY blog and I'll whine if I want to. ACK!!! Anna has stopped sleeping at night! I'm SO tired, but of course, can't fall asleep even though BOTH girls are out cold. Forget about hating myself tonight for not taking advantage of sleeping girls during the day...I'm kicking myself as I type. Please pass the Ambien!

Thank goodness for Memaw! I've been a zombie the past few days. I can't remember exactly when this "spell" of bad sleep began, but it feels like it's been MONTHS since I had a good night's sleep. Going out on Friday night didn't help matters AT ALL! (but more about that later!)

Two weekends ago Aunt DeeDee came for a visit. Daddy and I were *supposed* to go to the Drum Corps International semi-finals. DeeDee canceled plans and rearranged her schedule so that she could drive 7 hours here in ridiculous heat with no air conditioning in order to do us a huge favor and watch her nieces...only to get here and find out that we goofed. DCI was NEXT weekend.

Oops doesn't quite cover it.

DeeDee pretended not to be heartbroken.

In the meantime, Anna's schedule (or lack of a schedule) got all messed up. I was spending what felt like hours pumping milk so that she'd have bottles when Daddy and I left her for 9+ hours, so she was waking up extra in the night to make up for her lost milk during the day.

On Saturday, *this would have been August 7th, I guess) we tried to make things up to DeeDee by going to the state fair. It was hot, but there were several air conditioned buildings to give us nice breaks from the heat.

There was a little "farm" for kids to participate in:






And plenty of rides, of course!


I think this is her, "Don't tell anyone how much I'm enjoying this, 'cuz I'm a big girl and think I am too big for this ride" look:

The Gropp Clan:


We got home around 4:30 and I nursed Anna (this might be important later...not just TMI) Adele skipped her nap, we ordered Puccini's and at 6:45 Anna decided to take a late nap (she fell asleep with her paci). By 7:30 I was expecting her to wake up to eat. By 8:00 I was wondering if I should wake her up. By 9:00 Adele was asleep and DeeDee and I were vedged out on the couch (who knows where Daddy was...) At 11:00 Aunt DeeDee and I went to bed (but not until I pumped 9!!! ounces of milk-ouch!) At around 4:00 in the morning, Anna FINALLY woke up to nurse (almost 12 hours since she last nursed!!!). She promptly went back to sleep until about 7:30. A 13-hour night's sleep. (For Anna, that is. This Mommy was up about a dozen times making sure she was still breathing!) I guess a long day at the State Fair will do that to you...

On Sunday we sadly said goodbye to DeeDee (and apologized a thousand more times for her "wasted" trip down here) and then got some good news: Memaw was hoping to come visit! We still needed a babysitter for DCI, so her impromptu visit couldn't have happened at a better time!

In the meantime, Daddy went back to work, and Anna's sleep schedule once again got all messed up. (The two have nothing to do with each other, except that they happened to happen at the same time, I think...) Our little girl went from sleeping 8 hour chunks (and then some!) to waking up every 2 hours or less. ACK! Adele did this too...right as Daddy was finishing up his school year. Never when BOTH parents are home all day long, because that would be too easy, right?

So, I was glad to see Memaw because it meant less TV time for Adele and the possibility of more sleep for Mommy. I was right about the TV. Also, Anna seems to have turned another corner and will let Memaw spoil her (as long as she is fed and rested, that is!)!

What? No Tears?!

Eating at the "little" table:

Fast asleep!


Memaw got some quality Anna time on Thursday while Adele and I went to the Y with "Nenny", Elise and Annie. Adele has gotten bold again and will jump into the water. It was ridiculously hot out, so it was nice to be able to get in the water with Adele while Memaw held Anna in the air conditioning at home!

Friday finally rolled around and Memaw kept Adele, while Anna went to Miss Nenny's. I sent plenty of milk and tried not to be too neurotic about leaving Anna for several hours. I almost called once because I forgot to tell Jenny that I'd packed some Mylicon but decided that she'd find it in the diaper bag if she needed it. Oops. She needed it, but didn't even think to look for any. My bad. Oh well. Anna was asleep when we got back, so we know that she didn't scream the ENTIRE time we were gone! Waking her up at midnight to take her home MIGHT have been a bit of a bad idea, however. She has been up for her first "feeding" between 11 and 1 EVERY night since then....oh do I miss those 8 hour stretches of sleep!!!

I know this stage won't last forever, and I DO think that Anna is the cutest little goober ever when she's snuggling me in the middle of the night, but boy am I tired right now!

No comments: