Wednesday, August 31, 2011

All Things Adele

Adele has been completely adorable lately. Her sister has been sick (more later...maybe), so the "fun" stories of the moment are all about Adele.

She has a new "Adeleism" that I am totally in love with. She will ask a question, then answer it, but will always add, "Maybe." (with the cutest face ever) to the end of her answer.

She has started "reading" some books, which to me is just amazing. Less than a week ago, if she wanted to (or if we asked her to) look at books, she demanded that an adult read to her, always saying, "I can't read by myself" (which is something I work on with my students all year long, regardless of what grade I am teaching). I have worked with her on "reading the pictures" but she always argues and wants to know the "real" words.

On Monday, I "caught" her reading all by herself. It was a Sandra Boynton book. Gotta LOVE Sandra Boynton! This one was called Red Hat, Green Hat, and it is all about clothing colors...and a silly little bird. It's Adele all over. She read the entire thing, correctly, and didn't know I was listening to her. When she discovered that she had been found out, she was SO proud! Tonight she didn't even give me a choice when it was time to read her second bedtime book (an ABC book).

And lastly, while she is excelling at "school" at home, I had the following conversation with her teacher this morning:

Mrs. H: Do you ever notice that Adele doesn't hear you when you talk to her?
Me: Yes, and I know what you are going to ask. Her hearing is fine...it's just selective.
Mrs. H: Okay, I just wanted to mention it in case you wanted to bring this up with her pediatrician.
Me: Well, I will, but her hearing has been tested many times, as I have a sister who is deaf, and her hearing always tests perfectly. Adele just zones out and either doesn't listen or chooses not to act. I'll talk to her.

I've had this conversation COUNTLESS times with my students' parents as well. I've always sworn up and down that the students had severe hearing loss only to find that it's just a major case of selective hearing. I actually laughed at myself the entire ride to school upon finding myself on the opposite side of this fence.

I did ask the teacher who is there at pick up more specific questions about Adele's "selective hearing" and it seems that her poor eczema is probably causing most of the problems (she gets so itchy she can't focus on anything but scratching)...which we definitely see at home, so a doctor's visit may be in order...just not to the audiologist!

Yes, I'm a bad mom and have not taken ANY pictures lately. I'll try to take some this weekend!

1 comment:

Mark B said...

Is she "reading" just from memory, or is she able to sound out words? I sure miss my girls!