Wednesday, September 1, 2010

"Tricky" Pillows and Other Such Nonsense

Daddy was selected to sit on a jury, "We Three Girls" have been sick, and Cookie is banished to the kitchen...it's been a bit busy here lately! (But don't worry, Adele is still having loads of fun playing in her mud box...uh....sand box!)

Uncle Tim and his family were down for a visit this past weekend. We had a fast and furious time trying to beat the heat while still showing off the likes of Fishers. Trips to the Y and Ben and Ari's pretty much did the trick. The babies and James slept great, but Adele was up several times throughout the night itching like crazy, poor little girl.

As I mentioned in an earlier blog, we found out that she definitely is allergic to Cookie. The allergist's suggestion was that we get rid of Cookie (And this was without even knowing that Cookie is the fluffiest, most shedding dog EVER!), but Daddy and I are trying some creative solutions first-especially since Adele's major "reaction" is her eczema, and not her breathing (more about that later...) So, we bought baby gates and have blocked Cookie "into" the kitchen-hoping to keep her shedding "mess" on the linoleum which is much easier to keep clean than the carpet!
(Don't worry...this was BEFORE we "knew" that she was allergic to Cookie-Adele is adjusting to not being able to snuggle Cookie, but she still forgets pretty frequently!)

So far there is still long black dog hair EVERYWHERE. And Adele is still itchy.

Sunday morning, Adele woke up with the runniest nose ever. She looked pretty miserable all day, and we couldn't really figure out why. Flash forward to Monday morning, Anna sneezed and coughed herself (and me!) awake, and I discovered a runny nose and sore throat. Before I even made it to Anna's room, Adele was in the middle of a coughing fit as well. At least I had figured out what was wrong with Adele...and I sure was glad it wasn't allergies. I secretly hoped that having TWO sick girls might mean *sleepy* girls so that I could have an "easy" day while feeling under the weather myself. I will say that it could've been worse! For the most part, the girls were cuddly and happy to do nothing but laze around and watch Beauty and the Beast...well, Adele watched Beauty and the Beast, while Anna was pretty much ONLY content in my arms, but I forgave her!

I spent Monday night running around the house alternating between "plunging" (nasal aspirating?) the girls' noses and laying downstairs by a barking/whining/yelping Cookie, but somehow managed to rest enough to not feel completely exhausted when morning rolled around.

So, on Tuesday, Anna and I were feeling MUCH better, but Adele's asthma was rearing it's ugly head. The poor little thing just couldn't catch her breath despite breathing treatments every four hours. To top it off, she had a temperature of 101.6 at its highest, and Daddy was selected for jury duty and had to go BACK today!

Today was by far the worst day for Adele. She isn't exactly one to sit still for very long, but this asthma flare up makes it hard for her to even have a conversation without losing her breath, and she's going absolutely CRAZY sitting still! The only thing that still works is putting on Beauty and the Beast, but I hate for her to watch TV all day! I moved a table into the TV room so that we can at least play play-doh or do other art projects while she watches.

As for the "tricky" pillow, my sewing machine broke while I was sewing a pillow case for a pillow for Adele's bed, so the pillow has been "bare" for quite some time. It has white and blue stripes. For some reason my *favorite* pillow ended up in Adele's room, and when I tried to get it back, Adele told me that she doesn't like the striped pillow because it tricks her. Whatever that means. Well, she then told Daddy that she doesn't like that pillow because it tricks her. This has been going on for some time, and with Adele's recent breathing trouble, we've been TRYING to get a second pillow under her head to help her breathe, but she just won't use the striped pillow. It's just too cute not to blog about.

Daddy's trial ended today (well, not HIS trial, but the trial he was part of the jury for...) so it's back to work for him, and the girls and I have a play date tomorrow before Adele officially starts "preschool" (well, it's a Mother's Day Out program, but it's still "School" to us!) on Friday!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Do you think the blue-and-white pillow "tickles" her?

Babyswiss said...

no, she clearly says that it is "tricky" and that it "tricks" her-she knows the meaning of the word and will "trick" us at other times...she's just got her own "tricky" ideas, eh?