Monday, August 25, 2008

A Big Day for our Big Girl!

It's been a long day, but a good one! Adele had several "firsts" today, and as excited as I am for her, I'm also kind of sad. My baby is growing up! At bedtime tonight, Adele and I looked at pictures from when she was so tiny, it's hard to believe, but I can hardly remember when she couldn't sit up on her own, and now she's getting ready to walk!

So, I suppose I should tell you about our big day! Adele decided to "pull up" to standing using one of her toys today! She has been pulling up using Daddy and I for a while now, and has gotten very efficient at it, but she finally found something else to pull up on! She pulled up several times (Mean old Mommy kept sitting her back down) but when I tried to tape her, she just got frustrated and cried for me...go figure!

I had to go in to school today to interview a possible teaching assistant, Amy. (This is the first time I've ever had any say in who my assistant is, and I'm on maternity leave...go figure!) I think the principal just wanted an excuse to see Adele! She was a cutie and even fell asleep on the way there. I brought a blanket and toys for her to play with while we met. Unfortunately, she was WAY too busy trying to stand up from sitting on the floor (picture her in a "downward dog" yoga pose) to play with her toys. She kept scooting off of the blanket I had laid out for her, and I didn't want her to be on the carpet (which probably hasn't been cleaned in years...it was visibly dirty with muddy footprints) So, I sat on the floor with Miss Adele while talking with Amy, which is where her second first of the day came in. Adele pulled herself up to stand, and then let go of my hands. She stood on her own for at least 5 seconds (Really...it seemed like FOREVER) and then sat back down. She didn't even fall really. I think she would have stood longer, but everyone in the room (Like 5 or 6 people) started clapping for her, which shocked her a little bit.

And her third first was a sad one. The custodian came to clean the carpet, so I moved Adele to the linoleum. I sat her on the floor and squatted behind her. I was reaching into the diaper bag for a toy when she decided whe wanted to try to crawl/stand/walk again, and took a nosedive into the linoleum. She screamed pretty hard for a minute, and became VERY clingy (which she hadn't been up to that point, what a nice change!) but she seemed to recover well. We left shortly after that, to go see Daddy who was stuck at school because of Back to School Night (poor Daddy wouldn't have seen Miss Adele until TOMORROW after work if we hadn't stopped in!) Anyway, we noticed a bruise on her forehead. Poor little girl...her first bruise.

I must admit, I'm not absolutely sure that I brought the correct baby home with me. She didn't make a peep on the ride home, and while she did fall asleep eventually, she didn't sleep for the whole ride. Then, when we got home, she didn't want to nurse, she was very busy watching Cookie and "talking" with me instead. She fussed all through her dinner, and not because I wasn't feeding her fast enough (or at least, feeding her faster didn't help.) I had to hold her on my lap so I could get her to eat. At this point, I was dreading her walk...I figured she'd scream the whole way. Nope, she laughed and sang on our walk, and watched anything that would move. Cookie even "took us" on an extra long walk (which I was VERY nervous about, but hey, it worked out!) By the time I put her to bed she was back to herself, so maybe it was the bump on her head that changed her behavior this afternoon. I'll never know.

Now, if only there was a way to push her "pause" button so she'd stop growing up so fast...

No comments: