Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Green Beans and...Toes?

Before I write about our weekend (I know...way overdue) I have to share that no one told Miss Adele that she isn't supposed to like green beans. I was saving them for last (of the veggies, that is) because I thought for sure she would hate them...nope! She couldn't get enough of them! She also discovered her toes today...what fun!

As for the weekend...

One of the reasons we joined the Y was so that Adele can get used to being in the "childcare" room without us. We tried to leave her in childcare on Friday, but it closed early for the holiday. So, we tried again on Saturday. We explained that she's a bit of a...screamer? The workers said that if she cried for 15 minutes straight, they'd come get us. I was a little nervous, but we handed her over. She was quiet while we walked down to the wellness center, so it was pretty easy not to think too much about leaving her. Plus, I figured they'd come get us in 15 minutes anyhow. The whole time we worked out, I watched the window, waiting for someone to bring her in to us. They never did, and we actually finished our workout...amazing! She was pretty upset when we picked her up, and the workers said that she had cried on and off for them, but she hadn't cried the whole time...Yay, I guess!

Feeling good (or good enough) about how "Childcare" went at the Y on Saturday, we decided to leave her in the church nursery on Sunday. Miss Jackie was there, and a high school student as well. Again, Adele wasn't fussing when we left, so it was pretty easy to leave her. During the sermon, I heard crying just outside the sanctuary, so I decided I had better go investigate. I was relieved to see that the crying was coming from a two-year old and not Adele, but I popped down to the nursery to check on her anyway. I just barely peeked in so that she wouldn't see me, and Miss Jackie pointed to her carseat and said, "She's just about asleep." Are you kidding?!?!?! Not only was she not crying, but she was putting herself to sleep in her carseat...I wanted to cry happy tears! When we picked her up after the service she was asleep in her carseat...what a little angel!

Monday:

We tried the childcare at the Y again. We went at a terrible time....right after work, and the childcare room was packed. We left Adele anyway and went to work out. Our workout lasted a little longer (30 or 35 minutes?) and when I went to pick up Adele, it was clear that the workers were pretty frustrated with her...she was calm, but the girl said that she had just quieted her down. As soon as she heard my voice she started screaming again. I wondered why they didn't come get us, but it was really too busy to ask. Oh well, what's done is done, I guess!

And today:

I took her to the Y all by myself...yay, Mommy! Once we got there it wasn't so bad, it was getting everything ready for both of us that took some skill. I dropped her off at childcare and went and literally sat in the Subway inside the Y. I ordered a coke so I wasn't loitering....(if you can "loiter" in a place that you spend $71 a month to be a member of...) I waited for 20 minutes, then went back and got her. She was all red in the face and looked like she had been crying, even though she wasn't crying at the moment. The girl who was holding her had her in the "sideways" hold...if you don't know what I'm talking about, read some of my blogs from March. They said she fussed some and slept (weird, since she had just woken up from a nap before we went...) but had just woken up when another child started crying. Anyhow, she calmed down as soon as they gave her to me, and we headed out to the pool. I remembered her hat and sunglasses...which she sported without any complaints and we jumped in (Okay...I carried her slowly down the steps...) We "swam" in the big pool and then, in true Adele style, she decided that she needed a nap...go figure! It must have been all that crying. So, she took a little nap in her carseat (I hung a towel over it so she was in the shade) and I read a few pages of my book. She woke up before too long and was in a good mood, so we tried out the wading pool. We had a very good time and now I know I can take her again all by myself!

No comments: