Monday, January 26, 2009

Update on the Girls!

Well, after 3 hours at the Emergency Vet yesterday, Cookie was diagnosed with abdominal pain. X-rays showed no intestinal blockage, so she probably just ate the wrong thing (Hmm...maybe those yummy chicken sausages I made for Adele last week...they've got tons of onion in them, which is bad for dogs. Adele loved them, but also loves feeding Cookie!)

The X-rays showed that Cookie has an abnormally small liver, and a small bladder too, so we need to get ahold of her regular vet to have those checked, even though they're most likely not related to this current behavior. More interestingly, the X-rays showed that our precious Cookie has been shot! She was a stray before we adopted her through a local dog rescue agency, and it turns out she was shot in the leg, probably while she was a stray. The emergency vet says that it is not at all uncommon for former strays to have been shot, but goodness! Poor Cookie! No wonder she doesn't like fireworks!!!!!!!!

After a few hours of fasting, some painkillers and sedatives, Cookie seems to be back to her old self.

Adele had a rough time going to bed again last night (surprise, surprise) but she did finally fall asleep on her own. She was up many times overnight crying for a minute or two, then going back to sleep. Around 4 am she cried for quite a while. 10 minutes or more. I didn't want to check on her becuase I was convinced she'd be up for the day if she saw me, and I REALLY wanted that last hour or so of sleep!

So, I got up at my usual time and went in to wake up Miss Adele. When I picked her up I realized that she had a pretty good reason for crying all night. She was COVERED in throw-up, and so was her crib. BAD MOMMY!!! I just can't win. If I go and get her every time she cries at night, then I'm spoiling her and creating bad habits. If I don't go get her when she cries, I wake up to find her covered in vomit. Argh!

It was the 100th day of kindergarten today (which is TOTALLY COOL when you're 5 years old) so I just couldn't stay home. Daddy was happy to stay with Adele though...who, by the way, was completely FINE all day long. (We figured so much when she woke up happy, but didn't want to take any chances). She has bright pink cheeks and wasn't interested in drinking any milk (from a cup or a bottle today) but other than that she behaved just like herself.

So, that's my update on the girls...I know you were wondering! I do have pictures from yesterday, but I have laundry to do before I publish them....

1 comment:

Amber Connors said...

That's rough - the vomit thing. We've tried to let Evan cry before (when he had pooped and didn't know it), but toddlers have staying-power. If he screams long enough (20+ minutes), I cave.