Thursday, May 1, 2008

Wishy-Washy Nights

Little Miss Adele has been very wishy-washy with her sleeping schedule lately. It's starting to take a toll on me! She used to be consistent at night, but not at all during the day, now it's just the opposite! Her nights are so random anymore!

One night she sleeps for seven hours straight, then the next night, she wakes up every two hours....and some nights it takes twenty minutes to get her to fall asleep (and stay asleep in her crib) and other nights it takes 2 hours!!! She has also started waking up for good between 6:30 and 7 rather than between 8 and 9 like she used to.

Today I decided to try bedtime at 7 since she was up at 6:30AM (She was already taking her first nap at 8, when she should have just been waking up...)

At 6:45PM, she got SUPER fussy, and it made sense to try and put her to bed. She had no problem falling asleep, but when I put her in the crib she jolted awake. I had laundry all ready to go, and tried that...she fell asleep right away, but once again jolted awake when I put her down (And believe me, I waited until I was sure she was out...I even sneezed while holding her, and she didn't flinch...)

Well, my plan was to try that much (2 attempts) and if she still wasn't asleep to give her some "awake" time and try again. So, at 7:30, after my 2nd attempt to put her down, I brought her downstairs and let her play with Daddy while I cleaned up the kitchen. We tried again at 8, and miraculously, she let me put her in the crib at 8:30. (Yes, I know....almost 2 hours after I started bedtime....but her "regular" bedtime is 8:30, so while I wasn't successful in getting her to bed EARLY, at least she didn't stay up extra late....)

I thought I would be ready to let her "cry it out" when she turned 3 months, but I just can't do it yet...Now I'm thinking this summer when Daddy is home (and doesn't have to wake up before dawn!!!) Plus, I still feel so bad about her allergies...I don't want her eczema to get worse from sweating while she cries it out (believe me...she is drenched after crying during an average fussy car ride!)

No comments: