Wednesday, September 17, 2008

This and That

We were all kinds of busy yesterday with haircuts, shopping, swinging and blowing bubbles, not to mention having our own personal fashion show!

Here she is when I tried her Halloween costume on her for size: (It does have two antennae, I guess one was hiding...) It's a little bit big, but I think I'll go ahead and use it anyway, it's just too cute to pass up. Plus, it's very warm, so it will be perfect if we have cold weather!

Last night I tried giving Miss Adele a pea in addition to her carrots, beef and rice (yum...). She seemed to like the pea at first, but ended up gagging on it because of the outer layer (not the shell...the peel?). I eventually fished it out of her mouth, but then it seemed that nothing tasted good to her. It took a while, but eventually she did manage to finish her dinner. Poor girl.

Even though we didn't have much planned today, today was a busy day!

Adele tried a peeled grape at breakfast because she was so interested in mine. She didn't hate it, but she didn't love it either. I think it wasn't juicy enough for her. She mostly likes to eat juicy foods out of her feeder. We'll try again!

This morning, Adele stood up on an empty laundry basket, it wasn't quite sturdy enough for her, so we put some "weight" in it. She had a lot of fun "pushing" her train inside of the laundry basket. She maneuvered it all around the living room with ease.

At nap time, she fell asleep before I got her into her crib, and she'd had a rough night, so Memaw and I both thought she'd be out for a good long nap. I headed out to the Y, and Memaw started a 25 minute job of coloring her hair. Before I left, I asked Memaw if she wanted me to skip the Y so she could get her hair done. Memaw replied, "I'll be fine, she sleeps about an hour, you know." On my way to the Y, I hoped that she hadn't jinxed herself. Too late. She did. I guess Adele was up immediately, and Memaw had smelly chemicals on her hair, so thankfully, Miss Adele was just talking in her crib and not screaming, so Memaw went ahead and finished her coloring before getting a VERY STINKY Miss Adele. Oh...could that be why she woke up so quickly?? Even though Memaw got her all cleaned up, Miss Adele refused to go back to sleep...little stinker

I got home a good while later to see a VERY TIRED LOOKING Miss Adele and Memaw reading stories. I went ahead and kept her up for a while. We did some more cruising around the living room, read some books, and tried to practice crawling. I tried to eat my lunch in the living room next to Adele whie she played, but she kept finding ways to get to my plate, so I put her in the highchair with a wagon wheel while I ate. I decided to take the shell off of a pea and give her another try at eating one. She made a face at first, but ended up eating it and opening her mouth for another. (We're still working on signing "more"...for now, she opens her mouth wide when I sign the word, so at least she understands the concept). She managed to get the second pea from her little fist into her mouth. She has figured out the "pincer" grasp, but still ends up holding her food in a fist as she eats, so this was a huge accomplishment to get the food from the fist to her mouth without help!

Despite all that activity, I was worried that her afternoon nap would be short or nonexistent too, because she was overtired. Fortunately, I was wrong. She took a nice, long afternoon nap (just shy of 2 hours) so she got a little bit caught up on her sleep. (Memaw and I kept busy with laundry and cookie making...we probably should have napped too!)

When daddy got home, we went to the park. Adele actually kept her hat on the whole way there (she finally started to tolerate her hat again last night), which was quite a feat because Daddy kept stopping every few feet to videotape our cutie. She had a fun time watching people as she sat in the swing, then we decided to take her over to the slide. The slide is short enough that we can stand next to it and hold her as she "slides down" the whole way. She liked it, but she had even more fun playing with two woodchips at the bottom of the slide.

She went down the slide quite a few times while Daddy taped her. Then we noticed that she was chewing something...we thought that she was just playing around with her new tooth (She's been making so many funny faces lately) but I decided to "go fishing" and what do you know, there was a woodchip stuffed in her cheek. It was just the first of many, I'm sure! I'm a little surprised with myself that I didn't freak out about it, I did consider saving it for her scrapbook but decided against that :-P



When we're in the room with her, she pretty much just wants to stand, so it was fun to let her "explore" on her own while I got dinner ready! Even though she won't crawl, she does find a way to get around on her own! I had her in the middle of the carpet, and she somehow got to my shoe which was a good five feet away from her, and then she managed to drag it about two feet away from my other shoe, where she sat chewing on the toe. I figure, she already had a woodchip in her mouth, why not let her eat my shoe, right?

And here she is goofing off with Daddy after dinner (that is the letter C from a huge foam alphabet floor mat on her head...if it just had spikes she'd look like the Statue of Liberty!):

Oh, and Gramps comes tomorrow...we can't wait to see him!!!!

1 comment:

Katie said...

I'm surprised that her "Daddy" onesie still fits - is that the same one she wore in July?