Tuesday, March 4, 2008

A Scary Start!

I guess 9:45 is the bedtime Adele has chosen for herself. Desptie my attempts to put her to bed earlier, the past 2 nights it's been 9:45. The main problem is that she cluster feeds starting around 7, and falls asleep constantly. It's just hard to know when she's asleep for good. If not, it's another 45 minutes of nursing and holding in attempt to put her to bed. Tonight I'm not even going to think about bed until 8:45 or 9!!! Once we establish that as a bedtime, maybe I can start making it earlier little by little on MY schedule!

So, as the title suggests, we had a scary start to the morning! I've been reading "The Happiest Baby on the Block" (a great book by the way) and the author teaches the 5 S's to calm a frantic baby. They are: Swaddle, shush, swing, side and suck. The combonation of these S's is supposed to elicit a "calming reflex" in the baby. Well, it works! On Sunday night, I put Adele to bed swaddled in a blanket. She was out of the swaddle when I went in to feed her at 3:45, so last night I used the "Swaddle" that came with Adele's Sleepsack. Things were good at 3 AM for her feeding, but at 6 (when Daddy's alarm went off) I still hadn't heard from her (She's usually up 1 or 2 hours after her first nighttime feeding) so, I asked Daddy to go check on her. He came back in our room with a terrifying look on his face saying, "Her whole head was covered up by that thing" Thank goodness she was okay! She's so fiesty with her arms that she managed (Despite the velcro holders intended to keep the swaddle down!) to pull the whole swaddle wrap over her head! We won't be using that again! I fed her and brought her into bed with me where she slept until 9!!! (okay, 8:50, but who's counting???)

After that start to our day, I didn't want to put Ellie down, even for a second! Thankfully I was still hoping to try out my Maya wrap. We tried 2 positions, she doesn't like laying in it (no real surprise, as she hates being cradled unless she's eating...) but she liked sitting up and looking out. Unfotunately, she needs a little more head control before I'll feel comfortable actually wearing her like that! I'm going to keep trying the cradle hold, maybe when she's sleeping to get her used to it!

I got her to go down for a nap without nursing her today as well...yay for the 5 s's (I omitted the fifth "s") she woke up shortly after I moved her to the bouncy seat, but fell asleep again on her own...we're making progress!

Well, I haven't even brushed my hair yet and it's almost 2:00...More later :)

No comments: