Sunday, March 9, 2008

Who is this Baby?!?!?!

Tracy Hogg, author of "Secrets of the Baby Whisperer" lists 5 "types" of babies: Angel, Textbook, Spirited, Touchy and Grumpy. While Adele has characteristics of each type, she has gone dramatically from Grumpy to Angel in the past 2 days!

We're still on our Eat, Play, Sleep schedule, and it's taking me less and less time to get her to sleep! This past nap only took me about 5 minutes to get her to sleep! Granted, I'm still having to rock her to sleep with some sort of background white noise, but I don't think that will last forever! Both "Secrets" and "The Happiest Baby" give suggestions to break those habits in time...but for now, I want to keep things the same! Adele knows instantly when I swaddle her and hold her in our "going to sleep position" (which Daddy just loves!) that it's time to go to sleep. She has fussed once or twice during this routine, but both times she needed a diaper change.

Where do I sign up to become a spokesperson for these books??? Do you think they'd pay me???

It feels like we have a new baby! Last night we went to dinner at a friend's house and she was pretty much perfect! She screamed on the ride over, but fell asleep about 3 blocks from their house. I was worried, to say the least. However, she woke up in good spirits. It really was great! She did get fussy toward the end of our visit, but I knew it was because she was tired. I brought her swaddle, but it wouldn't work in the carseat if I got her to sleep, so we used Daddy's trick of bouncing the carseat. She calmed down and fell asleep, and just fussed a little on the ride home. She ate and went to bed without a hitch! I think she went 7 hours between feedings overnight, and slept in till 9!!! (With daylight savings time that's 10!!!!)

I'm going to keep her on this bed at 10, wake up at 8:30 or 9 for a while longer and then start moving her bedtime a little earlier over a few days. I'd love to have her down at 8! I feel like I'm finally in charge, so if I am patient enough and determined enough, I think I'll have success!

She's been great all day. We're both much happier now that we have a pattern to things! (I knew she'd see it my way eventually!) She played and played under her "activity gym" and Daddy videotaped some of it. He agrees that she has turned into such an adorable little princess! I'll have to figure out how to upload a video to my blog after he gets it edited. (You know Daddy and his video editing!!! No raw footage allowed!) She's so happy and cuddly now when she's awake that I have to force myself to put her down and let her play! I want to spend all of my time cuddling her!!!

I'm now looking more forward than ever to Aunt Katie's visit this week, especially knowing that I won't have to be the one holding Ellie Belly the whole time!

Gee...what shall I do with my time??? I think I can finally rest while she naps, no more walking on eggshells wondering when her next fussy hour (or day!) will be! I know it won't be all smooth sailing from here on out, but at least I have some structures in place to help her through the rough patches!

No comments: